January 7, 2014

DIY Construction Management Fail!



Nowadays, do-it-yourself projects are becoming more and more popular. Everyone loves do-it-yourself projects because they can be fun, entertaining, and because you can learn how to do different things that you never thought you were capable of. However, there are certain things that you should leave for professionals because they require more knowledge and expertise. 

When it comes to construction projects you need to hire people who are qualified for the project but you might be inclined to act as the general contractor and be in charge of coordinating the project and the workers, just like me. So let me tell you my story:

When I was younger I bought a house which was incredibly small, but at the time it was the only thing I could afford. As I was able to save some money over the years, I decided to make an extension and build two more rooms. I created a budget myself and bought all the materials needed for the project with the advice of one of the workers. It’s important to point out I found the subcontractors online and I failed to request for any license or proof that they were qualified for the job. 

So my plan was to oversee the project even though I wasn’t available all day because I had another job. But still I thought I could coordinate the workers and make sure they were doing the right job. When the job was done everything seemed alright and I thought “another successful DIY project completed”! Days later I started noticing that the plumbing job wasn’t good at all. 
For some reason, the water pressure was terrible. It was impossible for two people to take a shower at the same time! And that was something I never thought about checking because I really didn’t know what I was supposed to watch out for.

Also, since I didn’t know what materials I should get one of the guys I hired was the one who advised me on that and I think he chose really low quality products. Just a few months after the job was done the wall in the rooms started peeling off. This really taught me that when it comes to big projects that cost thousands of dollars it’s better to pay a professional to ensure quality because the truth is that there are things we just don’t have the knowledge for.